Learn how to carve your own wooden spoon using traditional techniques and your own hands by attending this small group one day workshop led by your tutor, Matt Eliason (AKA Spoonguy) who has over 2,500 hours experience in spoon carving.
Held in Toowoomba, (an easy 1.5 hr drive from Brisbane if you are there!) the workshop covers:
- Types of wood
- Sourcing wood and things to consider
- How to get the best spoon from wood
- Concepts of spoon design
- Demonstration of axe work (Hands on at the end of the day, time permitting)
- Different safe grips, cutting stokes and other aspects while working on your own spoon
- Dealing with issues of green wood carving while working the wood
- Knives and knife sharpening
- Finishing coatings
The day progresses at a gentle pace, with plenty of one-on-one attention that is only possible in a small group workshop environment.
We carve together, with tool work clearly demonstrated and students work followed to ensure safe and effective tool use.
We take a break for morning tea and afternoon tea (supplied) and lunch (bring your own).
At the end of the day you will have an eating spoon, or a cooking spoon or a serving spoon that is very close to completion for you to take home.
Tools available for purchase at the end of the day – $110 for the two knives so you can do final cuts and move on to new spoons.
I also have optional purchases:
- Bent knife covers ($20) for sale on the day.
- A 50mm bent knife (good for larger bowls – $60)
- Specialist carving hatchet – $125 (cost price – imported from UK)
Workshops run from 9-4 or 9.30-4.30 if participants are traveling to attend.
Current class sizes are limited to four to allow maximum interaction.
- Toowoomba $120,
- Brisbane $150,
- Sunshine/Gold Coast $160
Questions? Please feel free to Email me or call 0409 349 752
- January 19 – Saturday (unless its a heatwave)
- January 26 – doing demonstrations at Highfields Pioneer Village, near Toowoomba
- February 24 – Sunday
- Mid March – Date TBA
**If you have 2-4 people and want to nominate your own date I’m happy to consider it.
Spoon carving workshops Brisbane, Gold/Sunshine Coast. I will travel and conduct a workshop (minimum 4 people and extra fee applies). You need to provide the venue – backyard with shade will do.
NEW: You can now also purchase a Gift Voucher for a workshop.
Step 1. Please complete this form
Also to ask a question
Step 2. Pay deposit
Final $100 cash on day. Tools available for purchase – $110 for the two knives.
I also have bent knife covers ($20) for sale on the day.
If you can arrange two people, I can do other dates by arrangement
About your tutor
Matt has been carving spoons since 2016. Using skills developed over that time (over 2500 hours carving), Matt has carved a wide variety of spoons using various timbers on almost a full-time basis.
Spoons are sold around the world for practical use and collection.