Spoon carving sisters – more workshop pics at bottom of the page
Learn how to carve your own wooden spoon using traditional techniques and your own hands by attending this small group one day workshop led by your tutor, Matt Eliason (AKA Spoonguy) who has over 3,000 hours experience in spoon carving.
Held in Toowoomba, (an easy 1.5 hr drive from Brisbane if you are there!) the workshop covers:
- Types of wood
- Sourcing wood and things to consider
- How to get the best spoon from wood
- Concepts of spoon design
- Demonstration of axe work (Hands on yourself at the end of the day, time permitting)
- Different safe grips, cutting stokes and other aspects while working on your own spoon
- Dealing with issues of green wood carving while working the wood
- Knives and knife sharpening
- Finishing coatings
The day progresses at a gentle pace, with plenty of one-on-one attention that is only possible in a small group workshop environment.
We carve together, with tool work clearly demonstrated and students work followed to ensure safe and effective tool use.
We take a break for morning tea and afternoon tea (supplied) and lunch (bring your own).
At the end of the day you will have an eating spoon, or a cooking spoon or a serving spoon that is very close to completion for you to take home.
Tools available for purchase at the end of the day – $130 for the two knives so you can do final cuts and move on to new spoons. ($145 if left handed).
I also have optional purchases:
- A 50mm bent knife (good for larger bowls – $60)
- Specialist carving hatchet – $125 without cover, $160 with cover (cost price – imported from UK)
Workshops run from 9-4-4:30.
Current class sizes are limited to four to allow maximum interaction.
- Toowoomba $120,
- Brisbane $150,
- Sunshine/Gold Coast $160
Questions? Please feel free to Email me or call 0409 349 752
- If you would like to do a Facetime or Skype video session, let me know. This would be 1:1 only
**If you have 2-4 people and want to nominate your own date I’m happy to consider it.
Spoon carving workshops Brisbane, Gold/Sunshine Coast. I will travel and conduct a workshop (minimum 4 people and extra fee applies). You need to provide the venue – backyard with shade will do.
NEW: You can now also purchase a Gift Voucher for a workshop.
Step 1. Please complete this form
Also to ask a question
Step 2. Pay deposit
Final $100 cash on day. Tools available for purchase – $130 for the two knives.
If you can arrange two people, I can do other dates by arrangement
About your tutor
Matt has been carving spoons since 2016. Using skills developed over that time (over 2500 hours carving), Matt has carved a wide variety of spoons using various timbers on almost a full-time basis.
Spoons are sold around the world for practical use and collection.