Follow me on Facebook
Spoon carving sisters – more workshop pics at bottom of the page
Learn how to carve your own wooden spoon using traditional techniques and your own hands by attending this Toowoomba based small group one day workshop led by your tutor, Matt Eliason (AKA Spoonguy) who has over 5,000 hours experience in spoon carving.
Held in Toowoomba, (an easy 1.5 hr drive from Brisbane if you are there!) the workshop covers:
- Types of wood
- Sourcing wood and things to consider
- How to get the best spoon from wood
- Concepts of spoon design
- Demonstration of axe work (Hands on yourself at the end of the day, time permitting)
- Different safe grips, cutting stokes and other aspects while working on your own spoon
- Dealing with issues of green wood carving while working the wood
- Knives and knife sharpening
- Finishing coatings
The day progresses at a gentle pace, with plenty of one-on-one attention that is only possible in a small group workshop environment.
We carve together, with tool work clearly demonstrated and students work followed to ensure safe and effective tool use.
We take a break for morning tea and afternoon tea (supplied) and lunch (bring your own).
At the end of the day you will have an eating spoon, or a cooking spoon or a serving spoon that is very close to completion for you to take home.
Tools are available for purchase at the end of the day if you wish – $170 for the two knives so you can do final cuts and move on to new spoons.
I also have optional purchases:
- the hook and straight knife used in the day $160
Workshops run from 8.30am- 3.30 pm. All work is in the greenwood tradition: handheld with knives… no vices, chisels, or gouges are used.
Current class sizes are limited to around four to allow maximum interaction.
Tuition fee includes timber, use of the two spoon carving knives, axe if you want try, and morning tea:
- Toowoomba $150
- Brisbane $180
Questions? Please feel free to Email me or call 0409 349 752
GROUP workshops – Toowoomba
- August 13, Sunday – start time dependent on temperature on the day
- September 10, Sunday 8.30 – 3pm (still allows time to go to Festival of Food and Wine entertainment that evening!)
- September 24, Sunday 8.30 – 3pm (alternative to looking at gardens – Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers month)
Ask about workshops etc using the form below.
**If you have 3-4 people and want to nominate your own date I’m happy to consider it.
Spoon carving workshops Brisbane. I will travel and conduct a workshop (minimum 4 people and extra fee applies). You need to provide the venue – backyard with shade will do.
Prefer not to participate in a small group? I am now offering solo classes for $250. Gain total focus and progress. Fill the form below to enquire.
NEW: You can now also purchase a Gift Voucher for a workshop.
Step 1. Please complete this form
Also to ask a question
↑ Click send! ↖
Step 2. Pay deposit
Spoon carving workshop deposit per person
>Final $100 cash on day. Tools available for purchase – $170 for the two knives.
If you can arrange two people, I can do other dates by arrangement
About your tutor
Matt has been carving spoons since 2016. Using skills developed over that time (over 3000 hours carving), Matt has carved a wide variety of spoons using various timbers on almost a full-time basis.
Spoons are sold around the world for practical use and collection.